This is my base recipe for custard ice cream! But the twist I added this time is some freshly grated ginger. Please enjoy!
1 cup whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
6 egg yolks
2 capfuls of rum
1/4 tsp of vanilla bean paste
freshly grated ginger to taste
1) Put the milk and cream into a saucepan with 1/3 cup of sugar and the salt. Put aside.
2) Whisk 6 egg yolks with another 1/3 cup of sugar, two capfuls of rum and the vanilla bean paste.
3) Put your saucepan on medium heat and bring to a low simmer.
4) Slowly drizzle the hot milk and cream mixture into the egg yolk mixture, off the heat. Keep whisking until the eggs have been tempered/mixed in the bowl. Transfer the new mixture back to the saucepan and put back on the heat. Continually whisk until the mixture reaches 175-180F (use an instant read thermometer).
5) Chill the mixture in the fridge until cool. After cooled, add freshly grated ginger to taste.
6) Turn your ice cream machine on for 20-30 minutes (depending on your machine) and pour the custard base into the churning machine. After fluffy and frozen, transfer to a new container and place in the freezer to set until harder.
7) Serve with freshly grated ginger on top as a garnish!
Please enjoy 🙂
-The Simmering Pot